Friday, January 25, 2008

Two weeks of Monday through Friday down!

Well, I went to the gym today. Only got to do 25 minutes on the elliptical because I had a lot to do to get ready for my 5th and 6th grade youth, which was tonight, and a few other errands while the boys were at school. By the time I made it to the gym, 25 minutes was all I could push it. It wasn't long, but it was long enough to work up a good sweat and feel accomplished for the week. Can't complain with that. My eating was a little scattered today, but not terribly awful. We had pizza/calzones at youth tonight, so I ate 2 little pieces of the calzone and a half slice of pizza, which wasn't nearly as bad as I could've done. We only had 2 kids show up tonight, which was a bummer, but the 2 that were there had a lot of fun and it was good times with them. I really do feel the need to spend more time in prayer and trying to be creative with these kids. I ordered several books today from Youth Specialties today with ideas and stuff about youth culture and all that. It seems to be so different than even a few years ago when I left Young Life staff. Speaking of which: I have been sort of nostalgic for my Young Life days here lately. I don't miss the fundraising or stress of not knowing if I'd get a paycheck or not, but I do miss a lot of what we did and the kind of kids we tried to work with. I love my church kids dearly, but its not the same...I am trying to bring some of YL to my ministry at church, but that's easier to say than to do. Mostly because I am the First Pres lady now, and not the Young Life lady. Even if people aren't very active in their church or maybe even don't know Christ, they still have a loyalty, generally, to a specific church or denomination which makes it difficult to be the "First Pres" lady. When you are the YL lady, pretty much everyone loves and supports you; well, at least to some degree. Anyhow, the thing that really charges me up is sharing Jesus with kids who don't have a clue. Kids who realize they truly have a NEED for a Savior. There is nothing like it. I'm finding it difficult at times to help kids realize the importance of putting Christ first, when they sort of take their Christian faith and upbringing for granted. The gift of God to us in Christ is a gift we should never, ever be complacent about. It's not something to take for granted, though we (myself included) often do. It is a BIG deal...HE is a BIG deal...a really, really BIG FREAKING DEAL! I need to remember that, and I need to figure out ways to get my kids to get that.

Not much else exciting around here. I paid bills today, which isn't ever fun. I am thinking we have not a whole lot left to live on for a couple of weeks, but we can do it. Our freezer is full and our pantry is too--and Craig will hopefully have a check coming for some videos he did a month or so ago soon. This is a loooong tunnel we are in with our finances, and we aren't really seeing light yet, but we are moving ahead, which I am so grateful for. The Lord provides...and I am so humbled and grateful for it!

Well, I guess I need some sleep. I need to work on my sermon some more, so I"m hoping I can stay awake long enough to make progress there. As it says on the back page of our Veggie Tales book...."For now....Toodle do!"

No comments: