Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Team World Vision

Hey there, everyone,
As many of my buds know, I spent last week in Chicago at a youth ministry conference put on by Willow Creek Community Church--which is ginormous! I had a great time, learned lots of cool stuff, and was, as usually happens at these sorts of things--inspired! I wanted to share one of the things that particularly inspired me this past week, in hopes that maybe, just maybe it could inspire a few of you as well...and that you could be crazy with me!

Most of you know me, and know I am an athlete-wannabe, and have been for some time. (I am also a musician wannabe, an artist wannabe, and lots of other wannabes too...yes, I know, jack of all trades, master of none!) Anyhow..this thing I learned of appealed to the athlete-wannabe in me--and also, to the sense of purpose I have as a believer in Jesus Christ. What a cool thing when the passion of your first love (ie, Jesus) comes together with the other passions He wired us with! Back in the day at the Aggie BSU, I remember going through the then brand new study Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. There were many great things about that study, but one of the ones that has stuck with me...oh, nearly 20 years later, I guess it is...is this: Take a look around at what God is doing, and join Him there. This sorta fits into that piece of advice.

Okay...get on with it, Stacy...Why yes, I think I will!

At the Shift Conference at Willow, there was a table and a short presentation made by World Vision, a Christ-centered relief organization that seeks to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world. In their words, according to their website: "World Vision is an international partnership of Christians whose mission is to follow our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in working with the poor and oppressed to promote human transformation, seek justice, and bear witness to the good news of the Kingdom of God." They do many, many different things from child sponsorships where you can provide for the needs of a child from anywhere around the world, relief for children with AIDS, disaster relief and supplying the needs of those affected by poverty not only abroad but also around the United States. Personally, I have always been somewhat leary of some of this "justice" stuff..simply because much of what I have seen of it in the past has left Christ out of the equation. I have shyed away because I felt that if it wasn't centered on Christ, well, then what really was the point?

I am beginning to see some of this in a new light now...We are called to be the hands and feet of Christ in a world that is without. The whole story of the Bible is that of a broken world that He came to redeem. He invites us to be a part of that. While it is grace alone that saves us, His doing and not ours, I believe that in order to truly have the "life and life to the full" that Jesus desires for us in John 10:10, we must live out our faith...There are many, many ways to do this, of course...but this particular way put forth by World Vision caught my attention this last week, and really "jingled my jangle", so to speak. World Vision has Christ at the center of all that they do, and their mission is a living out of that faith--and I was quite impressed by that, and inspired to join in the work...as Blackaby put it!

So..where does the running thing come in? So glad you asked! (yes, I am a bit crazy, I know, to be able to carry on my own conversation in a blog!) Team World Vision. It is an effort, very similar to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program, or even akin to the MS150 bike ride which raises money for multiple sclerosis research...or any number of organizations that raise money and awareness for a cause, by a commitment to train for a honker of an athletic endeavor and asking people to join you in your effort by supporting the cause you are running/biking/whatevering for.

Team World Vision is in its baby years, and only has a few "official" events as of now, but they are growing like crazy, which is really cool! They want to challenge people to run a marathon or a half-marathon in support of the work that they do. You choose an event, set up a little personal fundraising website, and train for your event. Ideally, it would be a group of people training together as a group in a community, to where you do your daily shorter runs on your own and have a weekly group run together, which is the long-run component of the training program. They have a support community of others doing the same thing and coaches etc. who can communicate with you and your team via email, but it would work optimally if there were a local "coach" so to speak, who knew the ins and outs of the training process, and who could help the group with the challenges of training for such an event.

There is no minimum amount that has to be raised...there is no obligation or catch...other than the accountability you have from the others who are taking on the same challenge and will be spurring you on! The shared time together training is cool...and so is the fact that you are running for something bigger than yourself is too.

I got all the info and heard some really cool stories of folks who have taken this challenge on. Their website is www.teamworldvision.org if you'd like to see more, or feel free to call or message me about it. I would love to take on this challenge with a group of friends....would love local friends, but even friends who are far away would be fun to keep up with and stay accountable to! You don't have to be a super athlete to do it (look at me...truly...if I can run a marathon--which I have--ANYONE can do it!) and you don't have to have any other special stuff....just a desire to challenge yourself and commit to something cool, and a desire to combine that with helping out with a really cool cause, that of sharing Jesus in very practical ways with a world in need.

Let me know if you want to know more!

ps...for anyone interested in the Chicago marathon in October--it is sold out, as of last week...but Team World Vision has a couple of hundred spots available...I can hook you up! (sounds like "pst..I know a guy! heehee!)

No comments: