Friday, January 9, 2009

Five for Five!

It has been a good week! I have been able to run and run strong (for me, that is!) Monday through Friday. It has felt amazing! Now I know, to many of my friends, my running pace is probably equal to a Sunday stroll pace for them--but as stated in an earlier blog: Cushy shoes and need for the sports bra definitely qualifies my movement as running in my book!

Monday and Tuesday I went out early, like buttcrack of dawn early, and was able to run nonstop for around 30 minutes. That's sort of a big deal for me right now, especially since this was my first week back after having been sick for awhile and the holidays and all. It felt really good...and even though at times I looked for every reason in the world not to go, I was so glad when I was out there, and even more glad when I returned home and could write my miles (woo--like, all 2-1/2 of them!) in my little log book. Wednesday, I was going to get up early and go, but one of the boys kept me up most of the night with being sick...I think I probably did about 2 miles just going up and down the stairs to be with him! Anyhow....I was beat by Wednesday morning, so I slept in, with hopes that I could go run that afternoon when Craig got home. Thankfully, he let me go run Wednesday night and I was so grateful....I was able to make 3.6 miles without any walk breaks. This probably wouldn't be much of a big deal to most...and probably not that big of a deal to me, oh say as late as 5 years ago. But it's been AT LEAST 5 years since this big bootay was able to do that. Certainly pre-kids! I could do it when I was training for and running my marathon in San Diego....but that was in 2003! So, this was a huge accomplishment to me. I was on cloud 9 when I got back home! I mean, I still felt good and I was sweatin all over the place and sore and it so ROCKED! Endorphins really are wicked wonderful, I must say! I think part of being able to do it was how great it felt outside and the ipod, of course, but also the fact that it was in the evening. It makes it so much easier for me at that time of day--I think its more of my "prime time". Man, was it great!

So, I begged Craig for a chance at another afternoon run on Thursday, he kindly obliged, and I was able to do 3.4 with no walk breaks...and felt way, way good again! I know its not just a fluke that I was able to do it...its that whole consistency thing again...what a concept!

I did get up this morning at the buttcrack and went out to run and it was pretty good too. I had my 5th and 6th grade youth group tonight, so I knew there would be no time for an evening run, so I better get it in where I could...which meant it was basically back-to-back with the one yesterday evening. That made it a little tougher, but I was grateful to get out there. I probably could have trudged through it nonstop, but I did have two about two-minute walk-breaks. I decided to cut myself a little slack since it was a back-to-back deal. And I was very glad I made it out.

Tomorrow I am planning a long-ish run. Long for me, that is. Before I got sick, I was able to do a six-miler. Tomorrow its time for a 7 to 8-miler. We shall see how that one goes!

I have sooooo0 enjoyed having that ipod to run with. Who'da thought a little refurb nano from Hastings would be my best weapon against all the excess me! I have to say...I truly think most of my 80s stuff runs better than just about anything. Put Bryan Adams anything on, and man, I'm like a machine! As crazy as it is too, Whip It got me through a trying little stretch too, followed by Shania Twain's Whose Bed have Your Boots Been Under....good running stuff! Sometimes I feel sorta bad for passing by some of my great Christian music, but a lot of what I have just isn't real runnable....I mean, I love me some Watermark and Susan Ashton oldies and all that, but who ever tried to run to that stuff! Now Keith Green has some pretty upbeat stuff, and it makes you want to storm the gates of Hell with a waterpistol, so that's cool...but a lot of it is just too mellow for a run. My Christian running faves would have to be Jars of Clay, hands down. There isn't much they have that isn't great to run to. David Crowder isn't too bad, and I am all about running to Relient K (in my opinion, the Christian Bowling for Soup---who happen to also be great running pals on my ipod!) Yep....I still say when I am half this size I am now and everyone wants to know how I did it....I am going to tell them to buy an ipod! It so helps! I remember the days back years ago trying to run with a CD player thingy strapped on myself...yea, that really worked! Honestly, I think I left it in a friends bushes at her house because well....yea, a CD player worn on a body is cumbersome!

My little Nike+ deal for it is great too. Craig got it for me for my birthday last year. I am so loving it...tells me all the info about my run, will talk to me if I want it too, and saves it all on my computer when I sync up. It's so worth the about $30 it costs....it may not be quite as on as a GPS is, but once its calibrated, it works pretty darn well....I just love having that thing! I'm such a data junkie!

The eating has been going well too.....The only chocolate I've had this week was a slim-fast protein shake I forgot about the chocolate in when I opened it up. That was Monday. I have since sent those with Craig to school and haven't touched chocolate since then. It's harder at times than others, but the cravings are going away for it, and I am so glad. I've been having apples and oranges for my desserts instead....is this me I am talking about? Wow? I'm not recognizing this...isn't that wonderful!

Of course....Matthew 6:33 says to seek the Lord first and then it all comes together...some wise words that Bible has, huh! I know the discipline that has been conjured up in me isn't of my own doing...and I am so grateful for the One Who lives within me, who is changing me daily...and I am so thankful to finally be getting this Temple of His Spirit in a much better state of repair than it has been in for many years! As always....woooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!

No comments: