Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So far, so good...and yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE lost my mind!

So, the running is going well. I went Monday morning early and this morning early. Tuesday I couldn't go because I worked until 6 am Tuesday morning and Craig had to leave as soon as I got home, so no run for me that day...I was pretty much comatose most of the day anyway, from the night shift. The election really made for a crappy end of the day too...so yea...yay for Tuesday being over! Anyhow, I feel like I am getting stronger on the running now. I mean, I will probably never be fast or anything, but just to be able to keep on going is such a wonderful feeling. My Nike ipod thingy tells me I am averaging around 13 minutes/mile, which isn't too bad, wtih the walking averaged in, I guess. Yes, I am a turtle, but I'm totally fine with that! That ipod is really helpful too...and I have such a crazy mix of stuff on it! Jars of Clay and Relient K are some of my better get going selections, and anything by Bowling for Soup gets me to kick into high gear too. Bryan Adams old stuff and Bon Jovi isn't too bad either! Throw in a little Rich Mullins, Patsy Cline, Larry Gatlin, and Point of Grace (yes, I am cheesy!) and you've got yourself a cooldown! Sometimes, I do this "run a song, walk a song" thing to time out my breaks, and let me just say....the Lynard Skynard extended dance mix of Freebird makes for a pretty long run for this outta shape momma! That one isn't for the faint of heart! So, the losing my mind part....yes, its fun! Okay, the story goes, I have done a marathon before when I ran, and would love to do one again sometime, though I'm not anywhere close yet. Something else, a little goal (well, not such a little one!) or dream is maybe a better word for it, that I'd like to do and have always wanted to do is a triathlon. I have crazy fiend athlete friends that do them, and wow! I am in awe. Not long ago, I ran across a dear old friend from high school and college that is not only a dentist, but also a professional triathlete now as well...like, big time! Anyhow....the last opportunity I had to think about it, I weenied out. I know I could do the running and the biking part--yes, slowly, I admit, and probably not terribly gracefully--but given enough time, I COULD get myself from point a to point b on foot or on a bike. But the swimming...that scares the crud out of me! I swim, yes...but not like THAT! Well, this weekend, I hear about this triathlon at Moody Gardens in April, so I googled it and found it. They have the longer ones on Sunday, but Saturday is the Sprint one, which is the short course....swim 0.3 miles (I think), bike 12-something, and run a 5K (3.1 miles). It would be quite a challenge, but I like the idea of it because:--It IS a challenge...and I thrive with a concrete goal to work toward.--It would push me to work really hard..and I love that!--I think the distance is doable...--It's in April..so I have like 5 months to train.--It's in Galveston, so I wouldn't have to travel, which would make it cheaper and easier.--It's on a Saturday, so I wouldn't miss church for it.So.....I SIGNED UP!!!! Paid my money, I'm committed, baby! So.....I went and swam tonight....and man, do I stink at it!! When I was a kid, I swam like a fish..not so much now! WEll, maybe a dying fish, or one with a hook in its mouth or something! Yea....that's gonna take A LOT of work! But I'm committed, so there's no turning back now. And crappy swimmer or not, I feel really really good right now! I'm loving this! Brain or no brain, I'm in!!

No comments: