Wednesday, November 12, 2008

On rain, swimming, discouragement, and what good a workout can do!

Well...I guess since I mentioned every possible topic in the title to this post, I should make sure I cover all the bases! Rain! It's been raining a lot lately...mostly in the morning...at oh, like 5:00 am, when I am supposed to be up running. I say a lot...like, the past 2 days really, I guess. Now I don't mind a little rain, mind you, but I just don't think I'm hardcore enough to be out in an out-and-out downpour yet! I can remember running in some pretty decent rain back in the day, but I just didn't want to be out in such a huge downpour as these have been....so, when I hear the rain falling, I"ve been turning off the alarm and just sleeping in a little while and enjoying the sound of the rain, which is so nice! I do want to get back to the running...I really do....but, I will say I have enjoyed the little break (and will be praying for more rain tomorrow, probably!) It does sorta make me feel like a weenie though, when it gets to be like 10 am and its bright sunny outside! "Really, it was raining at 5...I promise!"
And I guess that brings me to the next thing....swimming! I have really been enjoying my pool time! One day I did 17 laps, I think 15 another day, and tonight I did 16. Those are like back-and-forth being one lap...so, like 32 lengths, if you were to count it that way...I will say...If I could use a kickboard in the triathlon, I think I'd so have it made! I will usually do a few laps with the kickboard to warm up and cool down and man, I can boogie on that thing! I could go for stinkin' ever with the kickboard! But alas, I think I probably have to be all on my own power for the tri! So, I've been swimming....breaststroke, backstroke, and crawl and alternating between them all. I'd like to work up to doing more crawl, but man oh man...that one wears me out! I'm getting a little stronger at it, but its still tough! I really am enjoying the swimming though, for something different. It feels really good, and I do feel like I've really done something when I get back.
The discouragement, is thankfully abating a little bit, but I had a few dumpy days there, which have weighed me down a bit. I had a meeting that, in my opinion, was a little rough the other night and that was discouraging.....things at home seem to have been discouraging for awhile--the ridiculous mess and housework that piles up being only a part of the problem--a significant part, no doubt, but yea...I don't blog about that. I'm not done with my class yet, which is hanging over my head, the bank account is overdrawn til I get my paycheck tomorrow, and geesh! I was just feeling a little hammered on there for a few days. I know the Lord won't give me more than I can handle, but crap...why does he have to think I'm so stinkin' strong! He is faithful, and I know and hang on to that. And I am thankful He has given me a body...albeit a short, fat, very unattractive body (and that's not His fault...he gave me a good gift, I just happened to have screwed the gift up over the years!)...that can, despite its weaknesses...still run, still swim, and still be challenged! What a gift it is to be able to go to Him in prayer, but also to know its a gift from Him as well, to be able to sweat out frustrations as well....I was feeling much more encouraged after all that.

Here's to hoping we all continue to feel encouraged!!!!

No comments: